Team Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
When a medical emergency occurs, staff that provide first aid will wear the following PPE:
3. Goggles/ Protective Glasses
When CPR is required, an additional mask or towel will be placed over the mouth and nose of the person in cardiac arrest. This will minimize the contamination of immediate air during resuscitation efforts.
Responding to an Emergency
1. Don PPE first and make sure the scene is safe.
2. Assess problem, have 9-1-1 called if needed. Retrieve the AED and Trauma Kit.
3. Control Scene, Only 2 Essential Staff should be at person’s side. Move all staff and members out of room and away from area. Preserve the person’s dignity and privacy.
4. Provide First Aid, as needed.
5. Meet incoming EMS, direct to person’s location, give verbal report.
After the Emergency
1. Clean all affected surfaces where emergency occurred. Use Bloodborne pathogen kit for body fluids.
2. Clean all medical Equipment (AED, Trauma Kit) and Disinfect all.
3. Replace Supplies that were used (AED pads) or contaminated during the emergency.
4. Place Contaminated Supplies and PPE in a RED Bio Hazard bag. Contact local EMS or Hospital for disposal.
5. Wash Hands thoroughly with warm soap and water. If necessary, clean or change clothing.
6. Complete an “Incident Report Form” and submit to Manager.